Previous page: Top Homes VIC     Next page: Links

 

Chiritta, 56 The Esplanade Peppermint Grove W.A.

Historic Peppermint Grove property sold for $17.5 million

Peppermint Grove residence, Chiritta dates back to the late 1890s. 

Chiritta is one of Western Australia’s most historic and prestigious homes, and was up for sale for what could be one of the state’s highest ever property prices – an estimated $25 million.

1

 

The limestone Federation Bungalow Style home has a central limestone structure with verandahs and is capped by a large roof; it was built for John’s son, Augustus Roe, the police magistrate from 1897 onwards.

  • The couple bought the heritage-listed home 52 years ago from the Roe family – descendants of Perth’s first surveyor-general John Septimus Roe, a name strongly associated with Perth.

  • The house was designed by turn-of-the-century architect and World War I general J Talbot Hobbs, who also designed the Royal Freshwater Bay Yacht Club, Windsor Hotel, St Luke’s Rectory and Newspaper House – all in Perth.

  • The amazing 4080 square metre property boasts seven bedrooms, including an attic room, six bathrooms and two studies

​​

Read more:

The Town of Cottesloe prides themselves on having some of the most beautiful surrounds in the Perth metropolitan area.
  • “Think beach, think Norfolk Island pines, think Western Suburbs lifestyle – that’s Cottesloe.

  • Just 15 minutes west of Perth, Western Australia, Cottesloe is internationally famous for its superb beach and terraced lawns overlooking the Indian Ocean. “

2

The Beach House, (Tukurua, Miss Cass's Residence), 7 Rosendo Street, Cottesloe WA

The house at 7 Rosendo Street, Cottesloe (known as Tukurua) is a large two-storey residence set in extensive grounds. The 21-room limestone mansion was constructed, in 1896 as the summer residence of WA’s first attorney-general, Sir Septimus Burt. 

Tukurua has significance as an example of a grand beachside home, exhibiting in its design and scale the affluence which was enjoyed by wealthy Western Australian families in the 1890s.

The recent 2015 sale was the subject of a dispute with former owner Ted Smith, who claimed he was given only 30 minutes to consider a rushed deal offered at a sum well under the $50m. sale price (i.e. $16.5 million).

 

Wealthy Miss Cass left her waterfront mansion to her gardener… now he’s looking to sell and downsize.....

  • Ted Smith, 80, started renting a room at Tukurua in Cottesloe in the 1970s

  • He struck up a friendship with its owner and did the gardening and repairs.

Owner Dorothea Cass had no husband or children and left the sprawling beachfront estate to Mr Smith when she died in 1994

  • Mr Smith, now 80, has been taking care of the property on his own for two decades and he’s ready to move on, so Mr Smith is now selling the property

  • Mr Twiggy Forrest signed a contract with Mr Smith earlier this year to sell the grand 21-room property for $16 million.

  • However, Mr Smith later made a public appeal to Mr Forrest to withdraw from the contract, saying he wanted to stay in his home of 43 years.

  • During the very public dispute, Mr Forrest announced he would use the vast property to house some of the 12,000 Syrian refugees coming to Australia as part of a special humanitarian intake.

Tukurua was sold for the first time in 119 years to Mr Forrest and his wife Nicola Forrest for $16 million in December 2015.

  • Since then, Mr Forrest has housed five refugee families in the 122-year-old property, but now his own grand plans have been revealed for the 5001sqm oceanfront block.

  • “The Forrests have always wanted to restore the magnificent site of Tukurua, which they have given its original name of The Beach House, to its former stateliness,” a spokeswoman for Mr Forrest said.

  • “They are now working closely with the Town of Cottesloe on a development application and look forward to starting construction once regular consultation and approval processes have been undertaken.”

Plans, submitted to the council and seen by The West Australian, show a substantial development of interlinked pavilion-style buildings on a large area of vacant land in front of Tukurua.

Read more:

Le Fanu (Banksia), 2 Salvado Street, Cottesloe W.A.

Le Fanu, a large single-storey, Federation Queen Anne style residence of architectural distinction, set within a garden enclosed by a limestone wall/retaining wall, has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

the place is an example of a grand beachside home, exhibiting in its scale and character the affluence which accompanied the gold boom of the 1890s.

The House was originally known as Banksia, and was built as the private residence of Henry Diggins Holmes and his wife Marion.

"Large residence of dressed limestone, now roofed in asbestos. Gables on all four sides have Tudor details.

On south-east is a bay window with conical turret topped with elegant finial. Surrounding verandahs supported on simple square timber posts.

Garden enclosed by limestone wall. There is a lower floor on north side."

The House is described as being in Federation Style, with a Queen Anne turret,

  • Sold April 2009 for $4,250,000

 

3

"When you are spending a reported $12 million on a renovation, you want some pretty dedicated tradies.

"Which is what the owners of Le Fanu house got. Some of the tradesmen restoring one of the State’s most iconic old buildings had to be reprimanded for turning up on Sundays.

"Built in the 1890s near Cottesloe's Dutch Inn surf reef, the property was a crumbling wreck with a collapsing roof, limestone walls turning to sand and gaping holes in the floors and ceilings when it was bought by its current owners in about 2008. It was also home to rats, snakes, and birds."

"After years of wrangling with heritage and local government authorities, plans were approved.

Mr Reynolds said Hocking Planning and Architecture created the blueprints for the substantial additions to the Federation-style bungalow and Zorzi were commissioned to undertake the work."

  • Heritage architect Ian Hocking, who has worked on the restoration and reconstruction of numerous historic buildings in Perth.

  • Icons like the Perth Town Hall, St George’s Cathedral and the Regal Theatre are all listed on his resume of projects.

  • Now, motivated by his latest work, Mr Hocking is pushing for a unique conservation precinct to be created in the wealthy beach side suburb Cottesloe.

A prime example of a grand beachside home, it reflects the affluence created by the gold boom of the 1890s, with features including thick limestone walls, a turret, gables, ornate chimneys, a ballroom and a wood-panelled study.

The Holmes family had a significant effect on the cultural life of Western Australia through banking and charitable activities, and Henry and Marion Holmes were founders of the Ministering Children’s League Convalescent Home in Cottesloe. 

In 1945, Le Fanu was bought by the Anglican Church, which continued the charity work of the Holmes, and the house was used as a meeting place for religious organisations and groups.

The 17 rooms included five bedrooms, a light-filled ballroom, allegedly used as a chapel, a drawing room, a formal dining or reception room, a formal lounge, a second lounge room, a sitting room, a family room, a kitchen with walk-in pantry, an enclosed veranda, a study and a cellar, with ceiling hooks where meat was once hung. 

Read more:

4

St. Just, 44 View Street, Peppermint Grove WA 6011

  • Sold for $10,700,000 in Oct 2009

 

The house:

St Just sits on 3035sqm on the highest point in Peppermint Grove.
The home has five bedrooms, a reception hall and upstairs hall, plus a self-contained guest cottage and ornate gardens.

  • The West Australian reported how: St Just is an example of a Federation Queen Anne style home; built with six bedrooms, a ballroom and a single storey detached two bedroom groom or gardeners cottage in the south western corner of the site. Owners past and present have maintained the integrity of this property which stands today to remind us of times past.

 

Owners:

2007 Andrew Fraser of Patersons Securities and his family bought St Just in 2007 for $9million.
2009 Stockbroker Andrew Frazer and his wife Lisa, daughter of barrister Malcolm McCusker, sold their historic Peppermint Grove home in View Street, known as St Just, about two weeks ago for $10.7 million, reportedly to the family of property developer Tony Lennon. They originally wanted $16 million.

Oct 2009 Private Sale $10,700,000

Mar 2006 Private Sale $9,000,000

Jan 1999 Private Sale $5,000,000

History:

 Built in 1904 for Richard Strelitz, of the Strelitz Brothers trading family, who prospered during the 1890s gold boom.

  • In 1910 Richard Strelitz and his wife Bessie built and settled into St Just on the corner of View and Keane Streets; their home was lavishly furnished as noted by The Sunday Times on the 10th of March 1918.

  • The driveway was often lined with the cars and motor cycles, and Richard – a motoring enthusiast himself – was closely involved with the formation of a motoring organisation in Western Australia (now the Royal Automobile Club).

  • In 1919 the house was sold to William Grant Forrest – better known as Doy Forrest, son of Alexander Forrest and it remained in the Forrest family until 1943. Sociable and generous hosts, the Forrests became famous for their luncheon, dinner, bridge and mah-jong parties that were frequently mentioned in the social pages of local newspapers.

Read more:

 

5

Swanbrae, 58 The Esplanade, Peppermint Grove, WA

  • Sold for $9,000,000 in Aug 2013

 

What a location! Elevated Northerly river panorama over Freshwater Bay Yacht Club and City as a backdrop.

  • Only offered for sale once in more than 50 years!

  • 2,276sqm of land located at Western Australia’s Best Address – The Esplanade, Peppermint Grove.

The single storey brick, with rendered bands, timber and tiled residence, in the Federation Queen Anne style, has cultural significance because:

  • it is fine example of a Federation Queen Anne bungalow, worthy of being considered an exemplar;

  • it has historical association with A Y Glyde, Mark Chapman and Douglas Gordon, each of them being prominent citizens of Peppermint Grove;​

 

A “Federation Queen Anne” home built in 1912, fully renovated and extended in 2011.

  • A short stroll up a nature path to the front door, then open into a fabulous lounge and dining room with polished boards, ornate ceilings, then french doors to river viewing verandah to take in the river ambience.

  • Long central hallway leads past sensational bedrooms with very high ceilings, then into a new Kitchen, Meals and Family area with the WOW factor.

  • Loft Office above a Double Garage is a real surprise.

  • Harvest your own vegetables year round from your own private vegie plantation.

The house was built by Mark Chapman, one of the Peppermint Grove's more
notable builders of the period. The Gordons have been long term residents since 1960, and continue the tradition of medical residents in the suburb.

Read more:

6

Taroona, 62 Leake Street, Peppermint Grove WA 6011

  • Sold for $6.2 million June 2017

 
Heritage

This single storey, brick, timber and tile bungalow, in the Federation Queen Anne style, has cultural significance because:

  • it is associated with the Sholl and Church families, both prominent families in the suburb;

  • it is an exemplar of its style; it is a comparatively rare example of the style applied to an asymmetrically designed bungalow;

  • it has one of the finest intact verandahs in the suburb

  • and the original place has a high level of integrity; it is part of a cultural group

 

​“Set on a sprawling 1,915m2 landholding, Taroona is a Peppermint Grove icon, having six bedrooms and five bathrooms.

  • Built in 1916 in the Queen Anne style with sweeping lawns, manicured gardens, shady wraparound verandahs and a romantic tower – this is truly an exceptional home like no other.”

“A recent major renovation and restoration has melded all the best features of the past with the conveniences and luxuries of today to provide a home of exceptional quality and convenience for the modern family.

  • Set over three levels the home combines the old and the new effortlessly whilst providing different and unique spaces for the family and guests to enjoy.

  • Grand formal reception rooms and dining room with a stately wood-carved fireplace and high ornate ceilings provide old world charm and grace.

  • The informal areas are full of light and space with full height French doors leading out to the verandahs and garden and pool areas.

  • The expansive kitchen is modern with Italian blue granite countertops and all white cabinetry and is perfectly positioned in the heart of the home overlooking the informal areas and out to the gardens and heated pool beyond.

  • Down a galleried hall two upsized bedrooms with walk in robes and each with its own ensuite occupy a separate kids/teens wing.”

Read more:

7

Belvedere, aka Belevedere, 12 Rosendo Street Cottesloe 

Belvedere is one of the few remaining examples of grand style (boom) architecture in W.A. 

It is a large towered residence, in excellent condition built by people made prosperous in the early gold rush days of Western Australia.

The house, with its tower, its encircling verandahs and original timber louvre protection, is the only one of its kind in Cottesloe.

It was built at the turn of century by wealthy mining investor J Campbell for his father, a Cottesloe Councillor. 

Built of limestone c 1893 in the Federation style, with contrasting painted quoins and trims to the walls and square tower. The tower is 10m high with a tall finial on the topside and has windows on all sides that give views of sea and coast.

Timber Juliet balconies jut out on two sides (other two removed). Surrounding verandah has simple timber posts and balustrading. Western aspect infilled with windows and louvres.

Belevedere, with its unusual tower, is a landmark in the area and forms part of a precinct indicative of the early residential form of Cottesloe and representative of part of the historical foundation of the suburb.

Classified by the National Trust.

History:

Belvedere is a single storey limestone residence constructed, in 1897, by a wealthy mining investor, J. J. Campbell. 

Campbell managed a tin mine in Queensland and built Belvedere for his father, mother and siblings. Thomas Campbell, (J. J. Campbell's father) was later to become a member of the Cottesloe Roads Board and, subsequently, a Cottesloe Councillor in the first Council. 

The place was used as a family residence until the 1930s when it was let out as a boarding house for men. In 1974, the house was put on the market as a development site but purchased by Loretta and Tom Pell, who restored, and renovated, the house for family use.

  • Last sold for $5,200,000 on 23/03/2013

Keep Reading:

 

8

 
Colwyn, 50 Victoria Avenue Claremont

Colwyn, 50 Victoria Avenue Claremont 

'Colwyn' is one of the grandest heritage residences in Claremont.

The house, with its full width verandahs surmounted by a splendid terracotta shingle roof, is a landmark to both Victoria Avenue and the Swan River foreshore.

Constructed for Arthur Bunning, one of the notable timber merchants of the day, the house was a showcase for the use of Western Australian timbers and the standard of craftsmanship available in the heyday of the Gold Boom era, particularly the decorative joinery in the interiors.

This extensive restoration of 'Colwyn' has been a labour of love for the owner / builder and is a credit to the tradesmen employed on the project.

Project Details:
Working with the original character of the house, views to the river beyond and the street presence of the house was reinstated.

The front of the house is presented with a symmetrical courtyard set between a pair of carports. Carefully planned additions and adaptations to the original layout include ensuite facilities, study, home theatre and a greenhouse breakfast room.

The formal lounge and dining room, kitchen and family spaces were adapted from the original rooms housing similar activities. Void spaces found behind existing walls which were not part of the original layout of the house were cleverly adapted into sauna, cellar and laundry.

Completion Date: 2009

Awards:

  • 2009 Australian Institute of Architects, Heritage Council of Western Australia, Heritage Conservation Award - Commendation

  • Housing Industry Association – NAB WA Housing Awards, Renovations / Alterations Project of the Year, Builder - Olympic Holdings Pty. Ltd

  • Sep 2011 Private Sale $4,750,000

Read more:

 

9

Dalkeith House 160 High St Fremantle 

This house, which is on the eastern side of Queen's Square, was built in 1897 for James Gallop. It had fallen into disrepair in 1974 when it became the premises of the Community School (Fremantle).

It was later the home of a Mayor of the City of Fremantle, and later again a Buddhist centre. It is one of the buildings which the Fremantle Society claims to have saved from demolition.

  • James Gallop arrived in 1829 aboard the Lotus, with his brothers Richard and Edward, all from a Thakeham, West Sussex workhouse. He and Richard (Edward drowned) were successful in growing vegetables and grapevines.

 

James in the 1870s bought Adam Armstrong's farm containing Dalkeith Cottage (which gave its name to the suburb) and built a two-storey house now known as Gallop House.

  • In 1897 he had built at 160 High St a residence called Dalkeith House. In 1904 he had built the King's Theatre, which was also known as the Dalkeith Opera House, at 52-62 South Terrace. He is the great-great-grandfather of former WA Premier Geoff Gallop. There is a street in Hilton named after him.

  • Built as a two-storied residence with stables for the Gallop family in the late 1890s. In 1902/3 occupied by W. F. Samson a former Mayor, designed by architect O.N. Nicholson.

  • From 1974 to 1979 Dalkeith House was used as a community school, it later was occupied by a medical practice. Now a private residence again, it is currently (1996) being restored.

Description

A large ornate house with a complex roof form. The gable ends have elaborate decorative timber work. The double storey bullnosed verandah roof is supported by decorative posts with filigree brackets and frieze.

The upstairs verandah has filigree balustrading. The verandah wraps the building on two sides. A double storey rectilinear bay to the front elevation is decorated with stucco moulding and sill detailing. Paired timber windows pierce the bay. Corbelled chimneys intact. Heritage Council.

Read more:

 

10

Woodlawn, 20 Osborne Road East Fremantle WA 6158

A large turn of century house significant for its architectural character of (Federation) Bungalow style, expressed in stonewalls and corrugated galvanised iron roof sweeping down over wide surrounding verandahs, punctuated with gables and turrets.

The house, set in expansive grounds, is significant for its association with the original merchant builder. 

History:

Woodlawn was constructed for Samuel Paul Saphir, of G. & R. Wills & Co., and his wife, Mary Tremayne Saphir; then occupied and subsequently purchased and occupied by Earnest Allnutt of D. & J. Fowler Limited, and his wife, Marion (nee Fowler) and their family from 1898-99 to 1914.

It was bought and occupied by Herbert Locke, furniture manufacturer, and Mayor and Councilor of East Fremantle, and his wife, Ann Rachel, and their family, who owned and resided at the place from 1914 to 1978. (Criterion 2.3)

 

Woodlawn, a single storey residence, constructed of stone and iron, in the Federation Queen Anne style set, in a lush garden landscape has cultural heritage significance for the following reasons:

the place is a fine and substantial Federation Queen Anne style bungalow that

employs all the characteristic design devices of the style, located in an expansive garden setting that retains much mature contemporary plant material;

with its substantial mature plantings, the place contributes to the aesthetic quality of the landscape of East Fremantle and has a landmark quality;

Significance:

Woodlawn is significant as a fine, substantial, Federation Queen Anne style bungalow that employs all the characteristic design devices of the style, located in an expansive garden setting that retains substantial mature contemporary plant material. (Criterion 1.1)

Woodlawn exhibits creative and design excellence in the achievement of the fine execution of the original design. (Criterion 1.2)

Woodlawn and its substantial mature plantings have a landmark quality at the corner of Canning Highway and Osborne Road, East Fremantle. (Criterion 1.3)

Woodlawn, and its significant garden with mature trees, contribute to the aesthetic quality of the landscape of East Fremantle. (Criterion 1.3)

Woodlawn demonstrates the fine achievement of a design in the Federation Queen Anne style, and is distinguished by the quality of the stonework. The mature gardens, nurtured over more than 60 years by the Locke family, provide a significant garden setting for the residence.

Read more:

The home was built in 1895 for businessman and timber merchant Neil McNeil. The history of the McNeil holding reflects the suburb’s social development.

It was later home to David McComb, the lead singer of rock band The Triffids.

 

Millionaire prospector and current owner Mark Creasy bought the property for $2.65 million in 1995. For years he battled with the Shire of Peppermint Grove and the Heritage Council to redevelop the property. It was purchased in 1995 by Sharon Creasy and since 2008 is owned by Mr Mark Creasy.

The Cliffe was once almost lost to demolition and has been removed twice from the heritage register. 

  • In February 2004 ‘The Cliffe’ was entered onto the WA Register of Heritage Places on a permanent basis under the provisions of the Heritage of Western Australia Act 1990,

Thrown into the pot is the fact that Dave [David McComb] happened to live there and he has been writing there since he was old enough to write.

Certainly in his late primary school years and his high school years and the years when the Triffids started forming he wrote a lot of short stories, poetry, and obviously songs and the house is clearly the backdrop to this material. even in later songs it's there and remembered in that respect.

 

11

The Cliffe, 25 Bindaring Parade, Peppermint Grove, WA 6011

Construction of The Cliffe commenced in 1895. It is a grand and historic residence, with related extant outbuildings, situated in McNeil Street, Peppermint Grove. The place is of exceptional significance within Peppermint Grove and Western Australia.

The Cliffe is a rare example of the use of a weatherboard in a substantial ‘gentleman’s’ residence in Perth which has, intact, the subsidiary buildings of coachhouse, stables, summerhouse, servants cottages, and part of the original gardens. expansive single-storey timber residence (20 rooms).

It has historical associations with the prominent McNeil and Brisbane families (owners) and with J. Talbot Hobbs (architect).

 

In 1984, the property was classified by the National Trust and included on the Register of the National Estate in 1992. In 1995 the property was entered on the State Register of Heritage Places by the Heritage Council of WA (HCWA).

The Cliffe was once almost lost to demolition and has been removed twice from the WA heritage register. 

"The significance of that house is that it was built as a display home for the use of jarrah timber by a timber merchant, so it's the biggest jarrah house ever built.

The Cliffe was a focus for Perth and Peppermint Grove society during the first quarter of this century."

"The dwelling is a bungalow built, predominantly, of jarrah and finished off with imported wrought iron railing. In 1914 Dr James Battye in his Cyclopedia of Western Australia described the dwelling as follows:

  • From the substantial foundation to the shingle roof every part of the structure is of jarrah, and after nearly twenty years – the house having been built in 1894 – every plank and beam and joist remain in as sound condition as when first they were cut to the contractor’s design.

  • Over twenty rooms are roofed beneath these jarrah shingles, and the interior is fitted up with all that art and comfort can suggest, while surrounding the house is a park of ten acres, tastefully laid out with lawns and flower-beds, and further beautified by the introduction of decorative statuary in bronze, collected by Mr McNeil on various trips to England and the Continent."

Cliffe Future Options Study

August 2013 SOLD – “A wonderful opportunity exists to restore and make this iconic residence yours. With little previous works having been done we can present to you a very well proportioned residence set well atop The Esplanade between McNeil Street and Bindaring Parade.”

  • “Seventeen rooms of the original home are of generous proportions, the northern wing (constructed in the 1950’s) is best demolished to provide room for more garden or facilities, or further improve the river views.”

  • The Cliffe is a rare example of the use of a weatherboard in a substantial ‘gentleman’s’ residence in Perth which has, intact, the subsidiary buildings of coachhouse, stables, summerhouse, servants cottages, and part of the original gardens. expansive single-storey timber residence (20 rooms).

  • It has historical associations with the prominent McNeil and Brisbane families (owners) and with J. Talbot Hobbs (architect).

  • The Cliffe was one of the first houses built in Peppermint Grove, and has a close association with the subsequent subdivision of McNeil Street and the development of the suburb.

Heritage Assessment The Cliffe.jpg
 

Historic home set for revamp

Elle Farcic  The West Australian - Monday, 22 July 2013 

An historic Peppermint Grove homestead that sparked a decade of debate and a parliamentary inquiry has been sold to a mystery Perth family after years on the market.

The Cliffe became one of Perth's most talked about houses when Premier Colin Barnett was dragged into a row over its removal from the State heritage register in 2009.

The 17-room property sold on Saturday night after an auction earlier in the day.

Though agent Chris Shellabear would not reveal the selling price, he said it sold for "substantially above" $3 million.

"The great thing about it is we've sold it to a family who are going to renovate it as their family home," he said.

"It is a local family with interest in Claremont."

Read more:

Keep Reading:

Your Feedback?