Top Federation Homes
Federation Homes of Fame
Ordered by Value & Heritage
Built in 1905 for the Downer family to the most meticulous standards of the time
Bona Vista, 59 Kensington Road South Yarra VIC
Built in 1905 for the Downer family to the most meticulous standards of the time
Fairwater, Double Bay NSW
THE most expensive home in this country’s history was snapped up by Aussie millionaire Mike Cannon-Brookes in September 2018.
The Atlassian co-founder broke the record after buying Lady Mary Fairfax’s Point Piper mansion, Fairwater.
The exact amount has not been disclosed, and according to media reports, Mr Cannon-Brookes bagged the property for a "bargain-basement price of close to $100 million”, and
Australia's first nine-digit house sale was settled with records showing the most expensive house purchase is unencumbered.
The lack of finance required to buy Fairwater, the $100 million Double Bay property, will surprise few familiar with the buyer – software giant Atlassian's co-founder, Mike Cannon-Brookes – given he has no mortgages on his three houses
The 1881-built residence designed by leading architect John Horbury Hunt is one of the most significant heritage houses in the country.
Fairwater is a large domestic residence constructed in 1882 with additions made in c.1901 and 1910, with former stable (c.1900s) and garage (1930), situated on a large suburban allotment fronting Port Jackson with mature garden landscaping including notable trees.
The property is of rare historic, aesthetic, social and scientific significance in consideration of its association with the Fairfax family,
and as a large late-nineteenth century residence (with Edwardian era additions), of high integrity.
The front garden and driveway is a private glen of trees of massive proportions and scale.
This area is dominated by the camphor laurels in the central turning area to the residence, while the upper area to the front property boundary is dominated by large Port Jackson figs with massive coalesced aerial roots and extensive buttressing.
The canopies of these trees extend to the carriageway. The intertwined and entangled canopies of all these trees form a closed and wild woodland garden of great aesthetic appeal.
Read more about Fairwater:
Changing of the guard: how two mates in tech conquered Australia’s property market LUCY MACKEN SEP 27, 2018
Fairfax's Fairwater sale reflects baton change from old media to new tech JONATHAN CHANCELLOR 27 SEPTEMBER 2018
How Australia's 1st $100 million house sale, Fairwater, was bought mortgage-free - Lucy Macken Dec 18, 2018
Wikipedia - Fairwater
The Hemmes family has lived in The Hermitage, an expansive waterfront estate at Vaucluse, for 45 years. Justin, 46, still occupies his own private wing.
However,the family is not moving any time soon, according to Justin Hemmes' father.
John Hemmes told The Sunday Telegraph one international and one local buyer had made offers for the property in recent weeks, but Justin had knocked them back because they fell short of the mark.
Contrary to rumours that the proceeds were needed to pay off debt in his son's hotel business, John Hemmes said the home was not for sale.
"They're talking $60 million now,'' he said.
"But it's not on the market; it's not for sale. We love it here.''
Statement of Significance:
A romantic and exceptional example of a Victorian Gothic mansion, which despite numerous alterations retains much of its early charm thanks to the skill of architect Emil Sodersten.
Its location above Hermit Bay is particularly attractive and it must rank as one of Sydney's most important harbourside villas of the late Victorian era.
Built sometime between 1870-78 by Edward Mason Hunt on one of the first subdivisions of the W C Wentworth Land Grant.
Justin Hemmes - $90m is not enough - By Jennifer Sexton, The Sunday Telegraph January 24, 2009
Hermitage, The house - Register of the National Estate
Federation Queen Anne style: "A very choice position on the crown of the hill, with delightful views over the harbour"
Property Observer previously suggested it came with $33 million hopes by the downsizing vendors, Denis and Charlotte O'Neil.
Addenbrooke last traded at its 1988 auction for $5.375 million having been the home of the late Sir Lionel Coppleson, the former hire purchase Custom Credit co-founding chairman, for close to five decades. He and his surgeon brother, Sir Victor, who was an author of a 1933 book on Australian shark attacks, had grown up in Wee Waa on the Namoi River in northern NSW. Sir Lionel was knighted in 1969.
An earlier auction was in 1930 when it was noted Addenbrooke adjoined the homes of Sir William Vicars and surgeon Sir Charles Clubbe.
60 Wunulla Road Point Piper NSW
Another waterfront trophy home sale, the sixth in 2014 to sell for $30 million or more.
"The Federation Arts and Crafts style mansion of liquor baron John Piven-Large sold on Friday, bringing Point Piper's sales tally to some $200 million worth of prime real estate sales within five months.
The six-bedroom residence with a tidal beach was first up for sale early last year with hopes of $40 million."
Including a 30m private tidal beach, this majestic home enjoys a rare position remarkably close to the water, includes a separate apartment and enjoys panoramic harbour district views including the Harbour Bridge.
The home was first called Ni-No-Nan after its 1912 construction, a name that has thankfully been lost in time. Historically, the home is significant as one of only a small handful of the original constructions on the peninsula.
Leura, Victoria Rd, Bellevue Hill NSW
Nov 25, 2016 ... Chinese businessman and keen yachtie Wilson Lee and his wife Baoyu Wu have emerged as the buyers of the Bellevue Hill trophy home Leura.
One of Sydney's grandest estates, the Bellevue Hill trophy residence Leura sold on Monday afternoon 10-Nov-2015 for more than $30 million, setting a suburb record in the process.
The sale by businessman Ken Allen and his wife, Christine, to an Australian buyer came the day before it was scheduled to go to auction, and for in excess of its original $30 million guide.
Built in the 1890s for Tom Knox, managing director of the Dalgety stock and station agency, in the Federation Queen Anne style and set on a vast 4260 square metres, the mansion includes eight bedrooms, eight bathrooms, a ballroom, tennis court and a swimming pool.
Leura - house, grounds, gardens - NSW Heritage Register
Bellevue Hill trophy home Leura sets suburb record at $30 million
LUCY MACKEN NOV 10, 2015
Babworth House, Mount Adelaide Rd, Darling Point NSW
Statement of Significance:
Babworth House is one of the largest, finest and most intact examples of an early twentieth century grand house in Australia.
It is of national significance both historically and aesthetically.
Babworth House is an excellent and rare example of the Federation Arts and Crafts style in grand domestic architecture in Australia.
The quality and uniqueness of the exterior and interior detailing, incorporating both Art Nouveau and neoclassical motifs and forms is of a standard and scale rarely seen in domestic architecture.
The workmanship and detailing of the external cement render work is of national significance technically.
Built to the designs of Morrow and de Peutron in the Art Nouveau style:
The exterior of the house is executed in cast cement, with very fine relief patterns.
An elaborate porte cochere and verandahs front the house, which is topped off with a slate roof, whose large gables have a bungalow connotation.
The interiors have a wealth of Art Nouveau and eighteenth century ornament, including a significant staircase.
Babworth House, Darling Point at www.federationhome.com
Babworth House 103 Darling Point Road, Darling Point - NSW Heritage Register
Babworth House 103 Darling Point Rd, Darling Point - Register of the National Estate
Read more about ten top NSW homes - Top Homes NSW
Eulinya 48-50 Irving Road, Toorak VIC
Eulinya's well-preserved Federation Arts and Crafts-style house and gardens (48-50 Irving Road, Toorak, designed by Walter Butler) makes it one of the most historically and architecturally significant properties in Toorak.
Mr Lindsay Fox (also owner of Boomerang, Elizabeth Bay NSW) has owned the Irving Road property since the late 1970s. This is one of a few Toorak estates, owned by a who's who of Melbourne's business elite, which could command "circa $100 million", property sources said.
Eulinya is regarded as one of Walter Butler‘s last and best designed large houses. It is well preserved externally, in terms of the street view, and prominently sited within grounds which also reflect Butler's landscape design preferences.
The garden reflects Butler's stated preference for formal, structured garden design that would eventually inspire Edna Walling and others.
This combination of house and garden design epitomises the underlying theme of Arts & Crafts architecture where the design of the house is at one with its setting.
"A superb combination of house and garden design that epitomises the underlying theme of Arts & Crafts architecture where the design of the house is at one with its garden setting and thus is particularly evocative of the architectural firm, W&R Butler's reputation for significant Arts & Crafts architecture and garden design."
Little Milton 26 Albany Road, Toorak
Little Milton is of architectural significance as an outstanding example of an Old English/Art and Crafts style, inter-war mansion.
Little Milton is was built in 1926 on two allotments subdivided from the former Whernside estate.
Its massing and detailing are skilfully executed and the house sits comfortably in its landscaped environs.
The house is the most important work of architect Muriel Millicent Stott who was one of only a handful of women architects working in Melbourne in the 1920s. It is also architecturally significant for its surviving landscape elements by Edna Walling the most celebrated landscape designer of the era.
The house was designed in the Old English/Arts and Crafts style by Muriel Stott (1889-1985) in association with the architectural firm Stephenson and Meldrum for the Moran family who were prominent in the grocery business.
It is claimed that Stott, whose family conducted a business college, modelled the house on Great Milton, a large residence in the Cotswolds.
The circa-1926, five-bedroom mansion at 26 Albany Road, said to be Toorak’s most expensive street, is at the north-east corner of Whernside Avenue.
A tennis court was installed recently atop a 12-car underground garage. Little Milton has an overall block size of 2476 square metres.
Little Milton was her largest commission and her last work in Australia before she emigrated to South Africa. The two storeyed house is of brick with ochred stucco. The roof is tiled. There is an attached garage to the north which forms an integral part of the design. The landscape design is by Edna Walling and features the extensive use of red brick paving.
Edzell House, 76 St Georges Rd Toorak
Dame Nellie Melba performed private concerts in the grand ballroom of the 30-plus room mansion.
The property is listed on the register of the National Estate because of its association with Spivakovsky's father and Dame Nellie Melba.
The mansion's age as well as its outstanding architecture make it a Melbourne icon.
The architects who designed it were the highly respected Reed Smart & Tappin and on top of all of that, it was built for Melbourne mayor, James Cooper Stewart.
Externally, the house possesses extensive half-timbered gabling, Marseille-pattern tiles and terracotta ridging from this period, along with two asymmetricially placed turreted, corner towers facing the Yarra River.
There is a two-level timber verandah with Tudor styling.
Internally, the Dining Room remains near to original, with its panelled timber ceiling and dado which were executed in New Zealand Remu, embossed floral-pattern wallpaper, overdoors and the panelled timber mantel and overmantel with their carved enrichments.
Bona Vista, 59 Kensington Rd, South Yarra VIC
in 2010, one Melbourne’s most historically significant estates - ‘Bona Vista’ in South Yarra - traded hands for $10.5m, a low figure for its one acre of land at the end of prestigious Kensington Road.
Bona Vista is of state historical significance as ail example of a 19th century suburban Gothic Queen Anne mansion (built in 1885) with a tower still in a garden setting, although of later date.
Bona Vista has high architectural significance as an example of one of the earliest known examples of the use of the Queen Ann Revival style in Victoria, displaying an unusual combination of stylistic influences.
Located in spacious grounds (recently designed and planted), it is of aesthetic significance and has additional historical importance for its associations with the original Bona Vista (now named Grantham) which was also owned by the famous Hobson family.
The house is an early example of the Queen Anne revival style in which classical and medieval elements are freely and deliberately combined. Its overall form with its square plan and hipped roof is adorned with a Tudor gabled porch, and a classical pediment at the first floor level.
The corner tower suggests the French Renaissance and the windows vary from multiple pane Tudor to the flat arched classical type.
During the 1920s an addition to the western face of the building contained a large ballroom and lounge.
Bona Vista - Victorian Heritage Database
Facebook: Great Historic Australian Houses & Rural properties. May 7, 2016
Redcourt House, Orrong Rd, Armadale
Redcourt is of state significance as one of the very earliest manifestations of a domestic Queen Anne Revival influenced mode in Melbourne.
A very grand and modern house for its time, it remains substantially externally intact and retains some of its original grounds, which reinforce the original design intent of its architects, the notable firm Reed Henderson & Smart.
The previously derelict 14-bedroom mansion in Melbourne's Armadale has been listed for sale with reported price hopes of $10 million plus.
The Queen Anne-style mansion at 506 Orrong Road was originally built in 1888 by glass and timber merchant Edward Yencken.
It was designed by architect Joseph Reed, also responsible for State Library of Victoria and the Royal Exhibition Building.
Redcourt was left to the elements from 1996 until 2009 when Melbourne investor Adam Garrisson bought and started renovating the property. A link below has photos of the property prior to the building's renovation.
For this project Garrison appointed John Warwicker of London art and design collective Tomato as creative director, Vogue Living reports.
Each room had a different creative professional working on it. Fashion designer Akira Isogawa worked on the music room, artist David Bromley worked on the children’s room, Warwicker worked on the Great Hall, artist Naomi Troski worked on a bedroom White Room, and Shannon Bennett worked on the kitchen.
It has a tennis court, servants' quarters, a coach house and a pavilion.
"I wanted to create an environment that fostered a cultural and artistic exchange," Garrisson told Vogue Living.
"Some people don't care about old buildings, but they are defining, contextualising and encase the character of a civilisation."
Formerly derelict Melbourne mansion listed with $10 million plus hopes - ALISTAIR WALSH | 24 SEPTEMBER 2013 (Includes pre-renovation photographs)
Melbourne dream homes to tempt the big spenders - Nicole Engwirda
Herald Sun NOVEMBER 28, 2014
Low-key quinella for lavish mansions - MARC PALLISCO, EMILY POWER OCT 31, 2015
Read more about twelve Victorian Top Homes:
Waimea House Sandy Bay Tasmania
A Tasmanian residential price record in 2011 ws set when investment financier Greg Woolley bought Waimea House for $8 million from former Sydneysiders Piers Dawson-Damer and his wife, Kim.
Occupying one of the finest positions in Hobart, Waimea House is a Federation Arts and Crafts mansion set on 9726 square metres, with a pool, tennis court, and a smaller second residence with Art Deco influences, a vacant block in Waimea Ave and four vacant blocks in Quamby Ave.
Located in prestigious Sandy Bay, the landmark property has magnificent harbour and Derwent River views.
Many regard the landmark property as occupying the finest position in Hobart, with harbour views and complete privacy.
Located in prestigious Sandy Bay, the landmark property has magnificent harbour and Derwent River views.
Waimea House had only been sold nine months earlier in 2011 for a record $6.06 million. Its latest buyer is the low-key investment banker Greg Woolley from Point Piper, Sydney, who lives at exclusive Point Piper, Sydney, in a house bought for $10.55 million in 2005.
Waimea House $8.5 million sale to Greg Woolley sets Tasmanian residential record for second time in nine months - by Jonathan Chancellor, 11 January 2012
Sydneysider snares trophy - MARGIE BLOK JAN 28, 2012
Cooinda, Channel Highway Birchs Bay, TAS
The epitome of Tasmanian lifestyle, sold by the former divisional director and head of training for equity markets at Macquarie Bank Rohan Boman and wife Anne.
Originally from Queensland, the couple have spent many years living in Sydney and overseas but decided to settle in the south.
They paid $2.7 million for the home which sits on a sprawling 3.4 hectare parcel on the edge of the D’Entrecasteaux Channel. Cooinda was sold on 19 Jul 2016 for $2,600,000.
Built in 1905, the fully renovated Tasmanian Federation home Cooinda has four bedrooms, a formal dining room, a central study and a sheltered garden terrace.
On the edge of the D’Entrecasteaux Channel, this fully renovated Federation residence (c1905) is the epitome of country living with a water front position spanning 8.5 acres.
’Cooinda’ has a gabled exterior with a signature stained glass front entry.
Inside, period architecture enchants with high ceilings, original fireplaces, bay windows, picture rails and use of timbers delicately balanced with modern accents. The formal lounge has bay window seats.
The Gables 1 Cedar Court, Sandy Bay
This Cedar Court building is one of few examples of the Federation Queen Anne style in Hobart. This example is particularly substantial and rich in adhering to the characteristics of the style.
Cedar Court is one of few examples of Architect Christopher Cowper's work in Tasmania. Cowper was a Melbourne based architect, and completed at least three large works in the Federation style in Tasmania.
Features inherent of the style and inclusive of this example are: an asymmetrical complex roof structure, which is noted in the three prominent offset gables of steep pitch which give it a vague Tudor feeling and terracotta roof tiles with ridge and apex ornament.
The Gables has a half-timbered effect above the bay windows in combination with stucco in the gable ends. The timber work is scalloped and painted green.
The base is of the building is sandstone and the cement mortar of the external walls is a combination of half painted "Queen Anne Red" and the raw grey of the concrete mortar itself.
This effect adds to the richness and is unusual in the knowledge that although concrete had been introduced for some time and cement mortars were in general use for exterior application, keeping with the avoidance of simplicity of the Federation Queen Anne style.
"The Gables" example has stylised brackets for the projecting gables and turned woodwork verandah columns of the Tuscan order.
The front facade features two round accent windows with multipaned toplights in projecting bays either side of the entrance porch.
Arcoona East Barrack St, Deloraine TAS
A $1.8m, 7 bedroom, 6 bathroom house located at 13 East Barrack Street, “Arcoona Manor is a grand historical home that retains a sense of its bygone era. Its grand proportions and luxurious rooms and gardens made this the perfect holiday destination."
Arcoona (Aboriginal for Flowing Waters) is a magnificent historic house built in the Edwardian style and was completed in 1892. It now belongs to the National Trust.
Its rich history in the picturesque village of Deloraine Tasmania started when it was built as a residence for Dr Cole and his family.
It later became a maternity hospital where many of the local Delorainian’s were born before being refurbished in the early 1970’s for a private residence then a Bed and Breakfast.
The latest refurbishment has refreshed this grand home with some modern comforts while retaining the original features.
The many original features including the stained glassed windows, light fittings, fire places and intricate cathedral timber ceilings and the servants bells which now all show case the grand ambiance of this historical and important building.
This warm and welcoming home has five private luxurious suites, a majestic drawing room with open fire and baby grand piano, a formal dining room, the original ballroom which hosts breakfast along with a relaxing sitting area with fireplace and Dr Coles billiard room with its original full size table and furniture.
Arcoona, East Barrack St, Deloraine - Australian Heritage Database
Read more about seven Top Homes of Tasmania
Windermere 14 Sutherland Ave, Ascot
Windermere is a substantial picturesque single-storeyed chamferboard residence with corrugated iron roofs in the Queen Anne style. The house sits on a rise and is set back from Sutherland Avenue, overlooking gardens which contain mature trees.
The building and mature trees contribute to the Ascot townscape.
Brisbane pub baron Andrew Griffiths sold this Ascot residence for $10.2 million through estate agent Gail Havig, the highest residential property sale in Brisbane in seven years.
Windermere sits on 4,700 square metres on Sutherland Avenue.
It last traded at $3.5 million in 2001 when bought by Griffiths and his wife, Helen.
It has been sold to Chris Miers and his wife, Linda.
This Ascot street gets its name from James Sutherland, a pastoralist who in 1855 acquired a substantial land holding in the area.
Built around the mid-1880s, the past residents read like a Who's Who of Brisbane's well-to-do residing behind its ornate gates, according to the yourbrisbane website.
It is abundantly clear that the majority of Brisbane's brightest and most successful residents choose to call Hamilton and Ascot home.
It is believed that the old Windermere was demolished and a new house was built for Sutherland's daughter Ruth and her husband solicitor John George Appel on the site c. 1886 in a stylish filigree adaption of Queen Anne style.
The house may have been designed by architect Richard Gailey.
This single storey house of timber construction with wide verandahs which have been developed to form a spacious pavilion at the south-east corner. A large bay window, maintaining the symmetry, located on the other side of the main entry. Cast iron balustrading good example of design for the local climate.
Blair Lodge, 242 Kingsford Smith Drive, Hamilton, QLD
Blair Lodge, formerly the Munro Residence, is significant as a fine example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture in a landscaped setting.
The building clearly displays many typical characteristics of this idiom such as the steeply pitched terra cotta tiled roof, bay windows, multipaned sashes and painted timber detailing on the verandahs, whilst adapting this style to the Queensland tradition of timber houses (Criteria D.2).
The residence is significant as a building designed by Claude Chambers and is one of the few examples of his domestic work, as he was mainly involved in non residential work. (Chambers is particularly noted for his commercial building work).
The residence is also significant for its deliberate siting as a prominent landmark in a residential area overlooking the Brisbane River .
Built at a time when Hamilton was undergoing rapid growth, expanding its status as a suburb of the elite and well-to-do, Blair Lodge is an excellent representative example of the extensive middle class residential development that occurred in the Hamilton area at the beginning of the twentieth century. It is also significant for its considerable aesthetic qualities.
The residence is a timber building and is a fine example of the Federation Queen Anne style of architecture. The building is built on high timber stumps with a terra cotta tiled roof.
The roof shape is steeply pitched and has a number of attic rooms, which have projecting bay windows clad with shingles, all of which give the building its picturesque quality.
A red brick Queen Anne style chimney rises up through the roof. Other decorative features include multipaned sashes, the arched timberwork of the verandah which runs on two sides of the building, and the timber battening between the stumps.
Blair Lodge, 242 Kingsford Smith Dr, Hamilton, QLD - Australian Heritage Database
Residence 'Blair Lodge' - Brisbane Heritage Register
Cremorne, 34 Mullens Street Hamilton
This amazing home at 34 Mullens St, Hamilton, was one of the biggest sales in Brisbane in 2017/18 for just under $6 million.
Standing over two levels and the only Brisbane example of the domestic work of renowned Sydney architects Eaton and Bates, Cremorne commands 180 degree views encompassing the CBD and Brisbane River from its selection of gazebos, verandahs, and from nearly every room.
Cremorne is heritage-listed and was built from 1905 to 1906. It was added to the Queensland Heritage Register on 21 October 1992.
This iconic estate has the elegant heritage exterior of a Queenslander but inside, the home has received a complete contemporary restoration and heritage approved pavilion extension.
Its exquisite internal features include stained glass windows, 13 foot high ceilings, three fireplaces, chandeliers and polished timber flooring.
Killara 92 Windermere Rd Hamilton QLD 4007
Killara is significant as an excellent example of the work of the architect A E Brooks. Killara is also considered significant because of its high degree of intactness, both externally and internally, which is rare.
It clearly illustrates the characteristics of the Queensland Federation style and the influence of the practice in which he was working at the time: Hall and Dods (Criterion D.2).
This shows through in its artistic and technical excellence and its urbane, reserved detailing, proportioning and planning (Criterion F.1).
Killara is a timber building with a Marseilles tiled roof, designed in a sophisticated refinement of the Queensland Federation style.
The main entrance is in a projecting wing with a decorative timber gabled roof.
A generous verandah, with French doors opening onto it, surrounds the house on three sides.
Internally, the house has large carefully detailed rooms. The house retains much of the original furniture.
An interesting polygonal bay window is featured in the large living room, and more orthodox rectangular bay windows are used in the master bedroom and dining room.
Each bedroom is virtually self contained with either built in cupboards and/or wash basins. Internally, black Japan stained doors, mouldings and architraves are contrasted with painted vertical jointed boarding.
Ruhamah, 23 Killara Avenue Hamilton QLD 4007
One of the most beautiful Queenslanders that Brisbane has to offer: properties like "Ruhamah" are as rare as they are magnificent.
This home is set on eight separate titles with a total land size of 4258 sqm, making this 112 year old property one of the largest private holdings in Hamilton and Ascot.
This unique home has had only had four families live there, with the current owners residing in the property for over 26 years.
This substantial residence was built between 1900-1902 for politician and businessman Thomas Morrow who helped establish Morrow and Rankin’s (later Arnott’s) biscuit confectionary.
At the time the house was constructed, Hamilton had established itself as one of Brisbane’s most prestigious residential suburbs and ‘Ruhamah’ positioned itself among many other fine houses already located in the area.
The house, which has undergone some alterations since the 1990s, remained in the Morrow family until 1948.
It’s hard to say whether the indoors or the outdoors are more grand, with features including a tennis court, indoor pool room, a billiards room and hallway chandeliers.
It has a special association with the life or work of politician and businessman Thomas Morrow whose biscuit manufacturing firm later became Arnott’s Biscuits.
The home has been meticulously restored and maintained with many features, a championship tennis court and an indoor pool house, to name but a few.
The grandeur and location make "Ruhamah" a stand-alone opportunity to purchase one of the most beautiful Queenslander's Brisbane has to offer.
Six Bedrooms, seven Bathrooms, seven Car Spaces; Land Size 4258 m2.
Avondale, 26 Thornbury St, Spring Hill
A historical trophy home worth over $2.5 million
The Brisbane bold home with rich history, Avondale, has been listed for sale by Sam Mayes and Zac Tully from Ray White.
It was built in 1912 by William Francis Corbett, a lawyer from Toorak Road in Hamilton, who also owned the Carlton Hotel in Queen Street.
Avondale has enjoyed a rich history serving as a boarding house in the 1950s before becoming home to a well-known journalist and then a prominent Brisbane builder, who completed significant expansions in the 1980s.
It last sold in 2012 at $2.5 million.
"I love things that have a sense of timelessness, whether they’re from 50 years ago, or last year. To me design is the most important thing of all.”
It was with that thought in mind that landed antique dealer Suzy Baines at the doorstep of 26 Thornbury St, Spring Hill, five years ago.
Avondale has six bedrooms, three bathrooms and multiple living spaces.
The kitchen was completely renovated and the original kitchen fireplace now houses a pair of V-Zug ovens.
Renovated in 2006, the light fittings, wiring, security system and air-conditioning were all upgraded.
Extra features include double-hung, full-length sash windows, pressed metal ceilings, and two working fireplaces with marble surrounds.
House of the week: Historic Spring Hill home - ELLEN LUTTON MAR 27, 2018
Avondale, Spring Hill historical trophy home listed for sale - 12 APRIL 2018
Read more about nine Top Homes of Queensland
Fenton (Feniton) 388 Bowen Terrace, New Farm
Once the home of a Queensland Premier, this 111-year-old New Farm home has finally been entered onto the state's heritage register.
The 1907-built Bowen Terrace home, Feniton, was designed by architect Robin Dods, who was recognised as one of Brisbane's leading architects in the early 20th century.
Feniton is recognised as a classic example of Brisbane's Federation-era architecture.
The old home is recognised as a classic example of Dod's skill in Federation-style architecture, featuring spacious formal and informal rooms, a dominant roof, wide verandahs and a piazza with a northeast aspect.
Set back from Bowen Terrace, the remarkable old home offers a glimpse into Brisbane's earlier years.
Former Queensland Premier Edward Theodore, who led the state from 1919 to 1925, lived in the house during his tenure.
Originally known as “Feniton” and built in 1906-07, the house is sited on a 1,292-square-metre block at 388 Bowen Terrace in the inner-Brisbane suburb of New Farm.
The site has a second frontage on Oxley Lane at the rear.
From 1916 to 1927, it was the home of Edward Granville Theodore, Queensland’s premier from 1919 to 1925.
According to its heritage statement, “Feniton is important in demonstrating the lifestyle of Brisbane’s prosperous elite in the inner suburbs of Brisbane during the early 20th century.”
The house is set back 25 metres from Bowen Terrace and is surrounded by large gardens at the front and rear. The highset timber house has verandahs on three sides and a steeply pitched roof with projecting brick chimneys.
“Feniton forms part of a group of major works or ‘first quality houses’ of the middle period of the Hall and Dods practice (1901-09), a group described as comprising ‘most of the interesting houses designed by Dods,’” its heritage statement notes.
“Feniton is important for its Federation aesthetic, successfully combining Arts and Crafts and Classical elements in a pleasingly proportioned asymmetrical high-set house with dominant roof, wide verandahs, piazza with a northeast aspect, and visually firm connection to the ground.
Largely intact, it demonstrates, internally and externally, fine architectural quality and skilful arrangement of generous and refined formal and informal spaces that evoke a sense of an earlier, gracious lifestyle.”
Historic New Farm home entered onto state's heritage register - Brisbane Times
Robin Dods’s New Farm house added to Queensland heritage register - ArchitectureAU
Fenton House Saved - National Trust
Feniton 388 Bowen Terrace, New Farm # 650078 - Queensland Heritage Register
Residence 'Feniton' (650078) aka ‘Almaden’ - Brisbane Heritage Register
Sale Notice and photographs - Sold on 06 Nov 2015 for $2,345,000
Tarrangower 21 Victoria Ave, Unley Park S.A.
"We were shown the property by agent John Black (1970). It had been for sale for a long time. However, it was love at first sight for me".
"At The front of the property, behind the fence, was a mixed thorn hedge. The heavy twin gates were at each side with a driveway extending down the side of the house. The driveway on the northern side extended past a Coach House at the back, down a wide lane to a double gale at Whistler Avenue (No 26). The back had a path leading from the coach house to the recessed back door...The tessellated floor tiles in the verandahs needed repair."
..."On the eastern side of the court were two magnificent cork elms. They were much admired until we discovered that their suckers invaded the court no matter what we tried. They are still there, (but) the tennis court looks OK but is never used. A lovely Meyer lemon tree was next to the garden shed. planted by Cousin Laura Growden."
INSIDE. "The Dining Room was a blue room ,with a lovely chandelier and blue carpet and wallpaper. Also a hanging call wire with a beautiful wooden knob. We kept the carpet, but had it lifted, cleaned and relaid. The doors and windows all had leadlighting. The fireplaces were magnificent: the wood grand and the workmanship the very best.
Each or the rooms had call buttons which had obviously not been used for years. Plenty of light (was) coming through the leadlight windows and doors. From the back door a very wide passage ran the length of the house (to) a beautiful open doorway with lead light at each side."
"After we finished our work in the house , The Growdens came to see and were amazed to see it so open: thev had never seen it open before. The back rooms we eventually made 2 suites of rooms each with bedroom, lounge room, study, walk in robes and large bathrooms, one with separate toilet.
Plumbing, electricity, painting and wallpapering was needed throughout the house."
"The front hallway was large, wood paneled, with a small shelf at head height. Above this was fine wall paper. At the back of the hall directly in front of the main door was a large recessed area suitable for a statue. The front Dining Room bad beautiful lights. matching wall lights and wood panelling and a large bay window in which the glass panes were curved to match the wood. Tile chandelier and wall lights were ornate and matching. We also lifted and cleaned this carpet as it had seen little use. I believe the next owners painted all the woodwork white (such a pity)."
"Eventually we had to replace a great amount of the tiled roof. We were fortunate to obtain (for a price) Welsh tiles, same as the existing roof, from the old Education Building as it was being dismantled. We had similar luck with tiles from Avers House when thev were altered.
We had 30 years of a really lovely life in Tarrawngower, as our three children grew, brought friends home to visit or stay. I remember the fun of raking up all the leaves from the trees at the front and the children jumping on the heaps; we were able to burn them in those days, but we had a friend who carted them all away. and spread them for his "chooks" to peck through .. Now, we have "downsized" to 17a Victoria Avenue in the year 2000."
Dawley, 419 Glynburn Road, Leabrook
Sold 28 Aug 2015 for $3,520,000.
6 bedrooms, 4 bathrooms, 2 parking spaces
C1905, Gracious Family Residence of some 15 Main Rooms on park like grounds with a swimming pool, plus a vacant allotment.
The beautiful Federation Queen Anne home has an external form and fabric of a substantial 1905 gentlemen's residence.
Key features include expansive terracotta tiled roof, projecting strapped gables, tiled verandah with paired column supports, semi-circular arched window element, central pitched dormer window, tall brick chimneys and brick walls.
Dawley is one of Adelaide's finest residential estates.
Built in 1905 for the Downer family to the most meticulous standards of the time in the then new and modern 'Art Nouveau influenced Tudor (ie Federation) style' it occupied a whole suburban block in the open land and paddocks of Leabrook.
Yurilla Hall, 20 Victoria Ave, Unley Park
"An 1899 two storey Italianate mansion constructed of sandstone with elaborately rendered door and window surrounds and a hipped roof clad in Marseilles tiles. The house features a square tower."
Although it is generally assumed to be an Italianate Victorian-era building dating from 1899, the fifteen-room house built in Victoria Avenue for Charles Richard Morris (1863-1918), or for his wife, Emma, by James [?] Gellar, builder, was designed in 1911.
It is noted in the Unley Council Building Notices for 1900-1911, and the date on the architects' drawings is June 1911, so is Federation Queen Anne style.
It was designed by Edward Davies and Philip R. Claridge and built probably over 1911-1912 on the northern side of Dr Peter Crank's land subdivision.
Morris, of Walter and Morris, timber and hardware merchants, was mayor of Port Adelaide in the 1890s.
In 1897 or 1898 the dental surgeon, Dr Peter Crank, bought five and three quarter acres from Simon Harvey on the corner of Victoria Avenue and Cross Road, and built a twelve room house (24 Victoria Avenue).
It is believed that C.R. Morris named the house Yurilla.
William Milne (grand-father of the architect F. Kenneth Milne), named his Mt Lofty house, built in about 1885, 'Eurilla' after finding from the Surveyor-General that the Indigenous name for the Mount was 'Yureilla, pronounced Yurilla.
'In naming his property Milne did not fee l bound to adopt the spelling as given [but] adhered to the correct sound'.
Yurilla (later Hall) probably followed this intelligence to reflect the views afforded of the Adelaide Hills from the tower and balconies of the Victoria Avenue site. The senior architect of the house was the Welsh-born Edward Davies (1852-1927).