Old English 'Dalkeith' in Mount Martha
Updated: Aug 12, 2019
One of the Mornington Peninsula's oldest homes, the two-storey gabled Arts and Crafts/Tudor-Revival style mansion 'Dalkeith' has been listed for sale, for the second time in five years, (well seven years, really) and that previous sale took more than five years for a result of $1.8 million.
The home retains its period-style features including exposed beam ceilings, timber panelling and stone fireplaces, (all nine). Peninsula Sotheby's International Realty agents Rob Curtain and Danielle Veins have a guide of $5.5 million to $6 million.
The beautifully coloured walls and Arts and Crafts style roof indicate that this is architect -designed, but by whom I cannot find or say. (Anyone know?)
'Old English style' architect Robert Hamilton built two homes for himself near Mount Martha; the second was famously 'High Clere' at 47 Two Bays Crescent, Mount Martha, (illustrated below) which had a thatched roof over corrugated iron, including a sprinkler system installed in the roof to allay any fears of the thatch catching fire! (now replaced by a second layer of iron roofing).
Due to architect Rodney Alsop's ill-health in 1920, the highly successful Klingender & Alsop partnership was dissolved, and Robert Hamilton replaced Rodney Alsop as designer for the firm. Hamilton built many successful apartment buildings around Toorak and also the Tudor-style Toorak Shopping Village.
'Dalkeith' is one of the Mornington Peninsula's most recognisable historic homes and has had a business catering for weddings, corporate and private events and upmarket short-stay accommodation, (yes, BnB).
With a prominent main road location and set on approx. 10 acres with sprawling mature gardens, the superbly restored two-storey gabled residence also features a caretaker's cottage, stables, a self-contained apartment, tennis court and in-ground pool.
Believed to have been largely built around 1938 with parts of the home dating back to at least 1911, there were at one time 24 full time staff at the property which spread over more than 700 acres on the west side of Mt Martha.
Dalkeith, then was originally owned by Mornington farmer, auctioneer and member of parliament William Vale, who left the estate to his daughter Phyllis and her husband, Herbert Jackson.
They renamed it Jackson Hill and trained horses and riders at the property. They owned 'Helion', who (almost) won the 1955 Australian Cup, which was later known as the Melbourne Cup. It was here that a successful new style of training for horse jumping was invented.
Mount Martha's Tudor trophy home Dalkeith listed - PropertyObserver.com.au